Last Updated on December 15, 2016
The forever-changing world of the medical scheme industry is a daunting one for all of us; existing and new members are left unsure of which is the best medical aid option to suit their needs. With the cost of living at an all-time high, we are always on the look out for the best priced medical aid scheme that can offer us a wealth of benefits. It is highly recommended that you make use of intermediary services, also know as brokers.
Brokers have a broad knowledge of the Medical Schemes Act & Legislation as well as all or most medical schemes registered in South Africa, and this puts them in a good position to provide reliable advice and to ensure their clients get the best medical aid for their money.
Selecting the best medical aid scheme, what to be on the lookout for:
- First of all, you should consider your medical needs first by evaluating your and your families’ state of health. If your family is generally healthy and no one has any chronic conditions, there might not be a need for a medical aid scheme, and you could rather go for a comprehensive hospital plan.
- The second step should obviously be what you can afford.
- Lastly, you should evaluate your particular situation on an ongoing basis, as it may change.
What brokers should know:
- Brokers should understand the terms and conditions of the medical scheme you promote to the client.
- Being a broker, you should not commit the medical scheme by misleading undertakings to potential clients on matters such as guaranteed waiver of waiting periods or granting of special dispensations.
How to find the best medical aid in South Africa?
According to a study done my a new financial comparative platform called Likemoney.co.za, Day1 Health Medical Scheme came out on top. Although Day1 Health isn’t a medical aid, they are the first Non-Medical Aid’ product provider to join a Pre-Paid Preventative Health Care solution for primary day to day care to a stated benefit hospital plan. The scheme acts as a medical aid as it is a hospital plan with Day-to-day benefits.
Designed for the uninsured working population, Day1 Health has developed cost effective solutions for both individuals and groups covering: Unlimited Day to Day GP consultations, including Acute and Chronic Medication, hospital cover for illness, Accident, and dread disease events.